If you are new to the county or have not yet registered your current or soon to be 5 year old, then make sure to contact your child's elementary school and set up a time to register. Please download the registration packet
prior to coming to ensure you bring all necessary documents with you.
There are established attendance zones that determine which elementary school students are assigned. If you are unsure about which elementary school your child will attend please review the attendance zone map
. A waiver is available for parents that would like their child to attend an elementary school out of their prescribed attendance zone. The waiver must be approved by the principal. A form for requesting the waiver of attendance zone placement and a form for employees of New Kent County Public Schools to request student admission or school placement can be found in the Out-of-Zone Attendance Guidelines and Forms
Kindergarten registration is on ongoing process from April to September. Parents are encouraged to bring their child on the official Kindergarten Registration Day, April 20th between 9:30 am and 11:00 am. For more information on this process, please read the information below.
What is the age requirement for kindergarten?
Children must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 30, 2017.
When will kindergarten registration take place?
Between 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on April 20, 2017, parents should register their children at the school they are zoned to attend. To find the correct school, parents may call 804-966-9650 or look at the attendance zone map
Does the child need to accompany the parent to registration?
Yes. On registration day, children will be given a kindergarten screener, which usually takes about 15 minutes and have the opportunity to tour the school.
What information should parents bring to registration?
- parent’s photo ID
- child’s certified original birth certificate
- proof of residency by providing one of these documents:
- current utility bill
- rental lease
- deed or contract
- plus photo identification (Driver’s License, DMV ID or Military ID)
What items are required by the first day of school?
- record of a physical examination within the past 12 months
- updated records listing dates of each state-required immunization
What if a parent is unable to attend on April 20?
- Please make every effort to register your child on April 20. If this is not possible, call the school to set up an appointment as soon as possible.
- For more information, call your neighborhood school.
- New Kent Elementary School - 804-966-9663
- George Watkins Elementary School - 804-966-9660